Just Lease it! Attracting Nike Flash Mob Style
Client: Related Property Management + The Shops at SkyView Center
Title: Just Lease it! Attracting Nike Flash Mob Style
Category: Retailer Acquisition
Award: 2015 U.S. Maxi Gold Winner
Nike’s real estate team was making a last minute site visit to The Shops at SkyView Center – a property they were considering for a new store and one of six sites under consideration that the Nike team would visit that day. With only 48 hours notice, the challenge was to ensure the shopping center was busy with Nike’s target audience during that afternoon.
Develop and execute a memorable event to keep the Flushing, Queens center top of mind amongst the six sites Nike would visit that day and illustrate that we understood the Nike ethos. With only 48 hours to deliver, Strategy+Style’s motto became “JUST LEASE IT!”
- Produced a surprise, 20-member Flash Mob dressed from head-to-toe in Nike-branded attire. The group unexpectedly appeared at the close of the Nike site visit to deliver a lively dance performance welcoming the brand to the property. The Flash Mob would not only add foot traffic to the shopping center (ensuring young, athletic customers would be on-site, versus the center’s typical middle-aged, Asian shopper population), but also communicate the essence of the property’s urban vibe
- Teased the Flash Mob appearance on The Shops at SkyView’s Facebook page as a means to build on-site traffic within Nike’s demographic during the performance
- Coordinated with Flash Mob company to edit the dance performance video and post it on YouTube to build interest on social channels
- Attended the Nike executive leasing team’s site visit to photographed/film the Flash Mob performance including the Nike executive leasing team’s surprise, smiles and reactions
- With less than 48 hours to make the memorable “on brand for Nike” surprise Flash Mob performance happen during the leasing visit, The Shops at SkyView Center proudly closed on a leasing deal with Nike Clearance Store less than seven months later.
- Strategy+Style learned from the Director of Real Estate that the surprise Flash Mob attributed to its decision to open a new store at the center.
- Following its leasing deal with Nike Clearance Store, The Shops at SkyView Center’s leasing team quickly secured deals with three additional leading retail brands – Nordstrom Rack, Forever 21, Uniqlo – fully solidifying the center’s position as an urban, mixed-used value shopping center.